Kerala: LDF walkout over Pillai’s release
Thiruvananthapuram: Opposition LDF in Kerala
on Friday staged a walkout from the Assembly alleging the UDF
government had violated prison rules while granting remission
to Kerala Congress-B leader R Balakrishna Pillai, who was
sentenced to one-year imprisonment in a corruption case.
Pillai was released along with 137 other prisoners
through a government remission order on State Formation day on
Denying the Opposition charge, Kerala Chief Minister
Oommen Chandy said the government decision was transparent and
as per law. "This government has not done anything illegal or
unlawful. The order for remission is within the framework of
law," he said.
He pointed out the previous LDF government had also
granted remission to persons convicted in corruption cases and
even released those who were sentenced to life for murder.
Taking up the matter in the house as a special mention,
Opposition leader V S Achuthanandan said the government had
given a go by to prison rules to favour Pillai.
The Supreme Court had sentenced 78-year-old Pillai in
Idamalayar dam corruption case, which dates back to 1980s when
he was the power minister in the Congress-led UDF government.
Pillai was found guilty of having caused the Kerala State
Electricity Board a loss of Rs 2 crore by awarding contracts
at inflated rates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Indian cricketers are getting married in Twenty20 mode
- SDM report holds Ryan school guilty of Divyansh's death