Kerala leaders say no to sharing stage with Narendra Modi
Thiruvananthapuram: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, who arrives here on Wednesday, seems quite the persona non grata in Kerala with sections of both the ruling Congress-led front and the Opposition Left refusing to share the stage with him.
On Wednesday, Left leader and former minister NK Premachandran, and Kerala State Women`s Commission chairperson KC Rosakutty, a former Congress legislator, turned down an invitation to take part in an event at the Sivagiri Mutt, which is to be attended by Modi.
The Bharatiya Janata Party leader, widely perceived to be the party`s prime ministerial candidate in the next General Elections, is travelling to Kerala to take part in the Sivagiri Mutt`s silver jubilee celebrations.
The first one to say no to a programme at the Mutt was veteran Left leader and former chief minister VS Achuthanandan.
The Mutt is the headquarters of the Sree Narayana Dharma Sangham, established by Sree Narayana Guru who propagated the concept of `One Caste, One Religion, One God`.
Modi is scheduled to arrive here on Wednesday evening and drive to the Mutt, about 45 km from here. He is slated to return around 7 pm.
State Home Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan has said that all routine protocol for a visiting Chief Minister would be in place.
"The top-most security cover would be provided as security is the subject of the state government. The Kerala police would be in full force," said Radhakrishnan.
Kerala Labour Minister Shibu Baby John of the RSP (B), an ally of the ruling Congress here, had a tough time recently after reports surfaced that he had met Modi in Gujarat last week.
John came under heavy fire from both the Congress and the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) that demanded his resignation.
He then explained to Chief Minister Oommen Chandy that his visit was aimed at just finding out about the functioning of the National Institute of Design. Chandy accepted the reasoning and cleared him.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends