Kerala leaders slam HM’s speech on dam issue
Thiruvananthapuram: Cutting across political
lines, leaders in Kerala on Saturday reacted sharply to Home
Minister P Chidamabaram`s statement that the Assembly bypoll
due in Piravom segment was the real reason for rising tempers
over the Mullaperiyar issue.
Hitting out at Chidambaram, state Water Resources
Minister PJ Joseph demanded Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to
drop him from the cabinet as his speech in Chennai amounted to
"breach of oath" taken while joining the Union cabinet.
Terming the Kerala government`s apprehension over safety
of the Mullaperiyar dam as "unnecessary", Home Minister P
Chidambaram today claimed it was borne out of "bypoll fear".
"It is an unnecessary fear. It is not even a temporary or
a permanent fear. It is only a bypoll fear," Chidambaram said.
Joseph, who belongs to the Kerala Congress (M), a key
partner in the ruling Congress-led UDF, said Chidambaram had
lost his right to continue in the Union cabinet after making
KPCC president Ramesh Chennithala termed Chidambaram`s
statement as "extremely unfortunate" as it came at a time when
the Prime Minister was taking initiative to solve the issue.
The impropriety of the statement would be brought to the
Prime Minister`s notice, Chennithala said in a statement.
CPI(M) leader and state opposition leader VS
Achuthanandan also wanted Chidambaram to be dropped from the
Congress MPs from Kerala MI Shanawas and PT Thomas,
senior party leader VM Sudheeran, CPI-M politburo member
Kodiyeri Balakrishnan and former water resources minister and
RSP leader NK Premachandran also slammed Chidambaram`s
"For a moment at least, Chidambaram seems to have
forgotten that he is a Minister at the Centre and has spoken
like a local leader," Shanawas said.
Sudheeran demanded Chidambaram to withdraw his statement
and the Prime Minister to restrain him from making such
remarks, which, he said, were unbecoming of his position as a
senior Union Minister.
Kodiyeri Balakrishnan asked Chief Minister Oommen Chandy
and senior Congress leaders to spell out their stand on
"What he (Chidambaram) has said amounts to breach of
assurance given by the Prime Minister to the all-party
delegation from Kerala that he (Singh) would make efforts to
amicably settle the issue," Balakrishnan said.
BJP state president V Muraleedharan said Chidambaram`s
statement exposed the "political drama" being played by the
Congress over the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'