Kerala: LPG tanker explosion toll touches 19
Kannur: The toll in the LPG tanker explosion near here on August 27 has gone up to 19 with four more succumbing to injuries, police said on Sunday.
While one person died at a private hospital here last night, a woman succumbed to burns at Pariyaram Medical College Hospital here this morning.
Another woman, undergoing treatment in Mangalore in Karnataka, also died this morning and a 12-year old boy breathed his last at Pariyaram medical college hospital in the afternoon, police said.
Five more persons were battling for life at different hospitals, they said.
35 people were injured when the LPG tanker overturned and exploded after hitting a road divider at Chala near here. 45 houses, 40 shops and 11 vehicles were gutted in the resulting fire.
Earlier, Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee President Ramesh Chennithala, after visiting the accident site and the houses of the victims, said the state government would announce a special package for the victims.
Chennithala said Chief Minister Oommen Chandy had told him that a special cabinet meeting would be held on September 3 and a special package announced.
He also emphasised the need for providing jobs to at least one person from the families of those who died in the tragedy.
Union Minister KC Venugopal, who accompanied Chennithala, said efforts would be made to secure compensation from IOC.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray