Kerala: LPG tanker explosion toll touches 19
Kannur: The toll in the LPG tanker explosion near here on August 27 has gone up to 19 with four more succumbing to injuries, police said on Sunday.
While one person died at a private hospital here last night, a woman succumbed to burns at Pariyaram Medical College Hospital here this morning.
Another woman, undergoing treatment in Mangalore in Karnataka, also died this morning and a 12-year old boy breathed his last at Pariyaram medical college hospital in the afternoon, police said.
Five more persons were battling for life at different hospitals, they said.
35 people were injured when the LPG tanker overturned and exploded after hitting a road divider at Chala near here. 45 houses, 40 shops and 11 vehicles were gutted in the resulting fire.
Earlier, Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee President Ramesh Chennithala, after visiting the accident site and the houses of the victims, said the state government would announce a special package for the victims.
Chennithala said Chief Minister Oommen Chandy had told him that a special cabinet meeting would be held on September 3 and a special package announced.
He also emphasised the need for providing jobs to at least one person from the families of those who died in the tragedy.
Union Minister KC Venugopal, who accompanied Chennithala, said efforts would be made to secure compensation from IOC.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL