Kerala minister slammed for meeting Narendra Modi
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Labour Minister Shibu Baby John came under fire Saturday for meeting Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi to study the success of the Gujarat model of development.
John had met Modi in Ahmedabad Thursday.
The Left opposition in Kerala and the Congress flayed John for meeting Modi.
Leader of Opposition VS Achuthanandan asked whether John`s meeting had been cleared by the Oommen Chandy government.
"This is the third time that Modi has become the chief minister. Drinking water is not available in many villages of Gujarat. Poverty is rampant there. Is this Gujarat`s model of development? An inquiry should be conducted into what transpired and how the meeting took place," said Achuthanandan.
A defensive Chandy said: "I was not aware of the meeting. With the media reporting it, I have asked John about it. We do not support the Gujarat model of development."
An embarrassed John said: "My only intention was to understand what was happening in Gujarat. I now realise that I should not have met Modi."
John is the lone legislator from the Revolutionary Socialist Party (B).
Modi is scheduled to visit Kerala April 24 to attend an event at Sivagiri Mutt, the abode of social reformer, the late Sree Narayana Guru.
Achuthanandan, who is also an invitee to one of the events at the mutt, said he would not attend since Modi has also been invited.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed