Kerala mulls setting up new action force to deal with Maoists
Thiruvananthapuram: Establishing a new action force to deal with the threat of Maoists, whose presence in the state`s Western Ghat forest area has been noticed, is under the government`s consideration, State Home Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan told the Assembly Monday.
Intelligence reports suggested that the maoists have plans to indulge in violence during the death anniversaries of naxalite leader A Varghese and tribal leader Jogi which fall tomorrow, Radhakrishnan said to a submission moved by Benny Behanan (Cong).
The maoists, banned in the country, has been trying to expand its activities in the Western Ghat forest areas of Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu, he said.
In view of the threat, police force has been equipped to deal with the situation, he said, adding, he did not want to make the subject a public debate.
Behanan wanted to know from the government whether recent media reports about the increased presence of maoists in Kerala`s northern belt were true or false.
Government should clarify its stand and also the steps taken to deal with the situation, he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH