Kerala not happy with railway budget
Thiruvananthapuram: Both ruling Congress led UDF and opposition CPI-M headed LDF in Kerala on Wednesday expressed their displeasure over the railway budget, saying due recognition had not been given to the state.
Reacting to the budget proposals presented by Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said the state did not get expected projects and additional trains.
The state had submitted a detailed memorandum to the Railways well in advance and was expecting a fair deal from the Centre this time, he said. `I cannot say that I am satisfied`, Chandy added.
Terming the railway budget `anti-people`, Leader of the Opposition V S Achuthanandan (CPI-M) said it had "totally neglected" the state.
CPI-M state secretariat in a statement said the budget had "a hidden agenda" aimed at privatising various sectors under the railways.
The decision to set up a Tariff Regulatory Commission and Indian Railway Station Development Corporation would lead to total privatisation and de-regulation of fares, it said.
Former Union Minister and BJP leader O Rajagopal said the increase in passenger fares would adversely affect the people of Kerala more.
Kerala had demanded among other things 25 new trains to various destinations and a special Zone for railway. However, only three new trains have been sanctioned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'