‘Kerala not to take over Padmanabhaswamy temple’
Thiruvananthapuram: Newly-appointed Kerala Home Minister T Radhakrishnan said that the state government would not take over the management of Sri Padmanabhaswamy temple, which has been in the news after priceless treasures were unearthed from its vaults in July last year.
"The state government has no plan to take over the temple management. Our job is to provide security to the temple and we will do it with utmost earnestness," Radhakrishnan told reporters while visiting the 16th century temple in Thiruvananthapuram after taking charge as the state`s new home minister.
Currently, the affairs of the temple are run by an executive committee which includes members of the temple management and representatives of the royal family of Travancore.
Following discovery of the treasure, an expert committee appointed by the Supreme Court in its report had suggested a security ring for the temple vaults at par with those available for the strong rooms of the Reserve Bank of India.
An apex court appointed panel began opening six chambers in the temple last year to make an inventory of the stock. The decision on opening the last of the six chambers is pending with the apex court.
According to the court-appointed panel, the entire stock-taking process is being videographed and a bar code is placed on the articles found, to make the valuation more authentic.
The unofficial estimate puts the values of the gems and jewellery found so far in the five chambers of Sri Padmanabhaswamy temple at Rs 1 lakh crore (USD 22 billion), making it one of the richest temples in the country.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed