‘Kerala not to take over Padmanabhaswamy temple’
Thiruvananthapuram: Newly-appointed Kerala Home Minister T Radhakrishnan said that the state government would not take over the management of Sri Padmanabhaswamy temple, which has been in the news after priceless treasures were unearthed from its vaults in July last year.
"The state government has no plan to take over the temple management. Our job is to provide security to the temple and we will do it with utmost earnestness," Radhakrishnan told reporters while visiting the 16th century temple in Thiruvananthapuram after taking charge as the state`s new home minister.
Currently, the affairs of the temple are run by an executive committee which includes members of the temple management and representatives of the royal family of Travancore.
Following discovery of the treasure, an expert committee appointed by the Supreme Court in its report had suggested a security ring for the temple vaults at par with those available for the strong rooms of the Reserve Bank of India.
An apex court appointed panel began opening six chambers in the temple last year to make an inventory of the stock. The decision on opening the last of the six chambers is pending with the apex court.
According to the court-appointed panel, the entire stock-taking process is being videographed and a bar code is placed on the articles found, to make the valuation more authentic.
The unofficial estimate puts the values of the gems and jewellery found so far in the five chambers of Sri Padmanabhaswamy temple at Rs 1 lakh crore (USD 22 billion), making it one of the richest temples in the country.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened