Kerala opposes allowing Italian marines to go home for X`mas
Kochi: The Kerala government on Wednesday continued to oppose in the High Court here the plea of two Italian marines, facing trial for allegedly killing two Indian fishermen, for permission to visit their country to celebrate Christmas.
The fate of the plea by Massimiliano Latore and Salvatore Girone will be known tomorrow when the Kerala High Court is due to pass its order.
After hearing arguments from the state government and the petitioners` counsel, Justice P Bhavadasan posted the case to tomorrow for orders.
Earlier, state Director General of Prosecutions T Asif Ali said the Kerala government cannot accept the undertaking given by the Italian Ambassador in India Giacomo Stanfelice in connection with the return of the two marines after celebrating Christmas in their country.
"Italy is hobnobbing and joining hands with the accused right from the inception of the case. Their words cannot be believed at all," he said. "If for want of accused, trial is torpedoed, it will be a wrong signal," he said, adding the credentials of Italy was under "doubt and under suspicion".
When Justice P Bhavadasan asked Ali pointedly whether the state accepts the undertakings, he replied in the negative. To another query, Ali said the two Marines would never come back to Kerala for trial.
Counsel for the petitioners P Vijay Bhanu said Italy was not a terrorist nation. "We will not do anything to interfere with the trial. Our credibility is at stake," he said.
Italian Defence Minister Giampaolo Di Paolo, during his recent visit to Kerala, had not approached the Chief Minister or others as the bail conditions have to be relaxed by the court, he said.
Assistant Solicitor General V Parameshwaran Nair submitted a letter to the court sent by the Italian Foreign Minister and pleaded that its contents be not disclosed as they are classified.
The ASG also said the undertaking given by the Italian consulate will be given due consideration.
The Italian Ambassador and Consul General in India Giampaolo Cutillo were present in the court.
The two marines were arrested from the Italian vessel `Enrica Lexie` on February 19 for allegedly shooting down two Indian fishermen off Kerala coast, "mistaking" them to be pirates. They are currently on bail and are staying in a hotel here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India