Kerala Opposition leader criticizes defacing posters of filmstars
Thiruvanathapuram: Congress leader Oommen
Chandy on Tuesday charged CPI(M) workers with defacing posters of
filmstars who campaigned for UDF candidates in the April 13
Assembly elections and demanded that the Marxist party rein in
"The action of CPI-M workers clearly exposes the
intolerence of ruling CPI-M led LDF against their critics. The
party leadership should rein in their cadres. It is the right
of every citizen in a democracy to campaign and vote for any
particular candidate," he told reporters here.
Film posters of leading actors Dileep, Kavya Madhavan and
Jayaram were found smeared with black oil in Pathanpuram
constituency in Kollam district, where filmstar K B Ganesh
Kumar was the UDF candidate.
The Opposition leader also asked the government to take
steps to nab those responsible for the attack on Mathrubhumi`s
Kollam correspondent V B Unnithanan last week.
On the endosulfan pesticide issue, Chandy said he had
written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to take steps to
implement a nationwide ban on it as 80 countries had already
Use of endosulfan in cashew plantations in northern parts
of Kasargode district had resulted in the deaths of several
persons and crippled many, following which it was banned in
Kerala last year.
Chandy alleged the LDF had failed to implement the rice at
Rs two per kg scheme as promised before the polls as the
decision was taken without doing proper groundwork.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India