Kerala Opposition leader criticizes defacing posters of filmstars
Thiruvanathapuram: Congress leader Oommen
Chandy on Tuesday charged CPI(M) workers with defacing posters of
filmstars who campaigned for UDF candidates in the April 13
Assembly elections and demanded that the Marxist party rein in
"The action of CPI-M workers clearly exposes the
intolerence of ruling CPI-M led LDF against their critics. The
party leadership should rein in their cadres. It is the right
of every citizen in a democracy to campaign and vote for any
particular candidate," he told reporters here.
Film posters of leading actors Dileep, Kavya Madhavan and
Jayaram were found smeared with black oil in Pathanpuram
constituency in Kollam district, where filmstar K B Ganesh
Kumar was the UDF candidate.
The Opposition leader also asked the government to take
steps to nab those responsible for the attack on Mathrubhumi`s
Kollam correspondent V B Unnithanan last week.
On the endosulfan pesticide issue, Chandy said he had
written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to take steps to
implement a nationwide ban on it as 80 countries had already
Use of endosulfan in cashew plantations in northern parts
of Kasargode district had resulted in the deaths of several
persons and crippled many, following which it was banned in
Kerala last year.
Chandy alleged the LDF had failed to implement the rice at
Rs two per kg scheme as promised before the polls as the
decision was taken without doing proper groundwork.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply