Kerala Opposition leader criticizes defacing posters of filmstars
Thiruvanathapuram: Congress leader Oommen
Chandy on Tuesday charged CPI(M) workers with defacing posters of
filmstars who campaigned for UDF candidates in the April 13
Assembly elections and demanded that the Marxist party rein in
"The action of CPI-M workers clearly exposes the
intolerence of ruling CPI-M led LDF against their critics. The
party leadership should rein in their cadres. It is the right
of every citizen in a democracy to campaign and vote for any
particular candidate," he told reporters here.
Film posters of leading actors Dileep, Kavya Madhavan and
Jayaram were found smeared with black oil in Pathanpuram
constituency in Kollam district, where filmstar K B Ganesh
Kumar was the UDF candidate.
The Opposition leader also asked the government to take
steps to nab those responsible for the attack on Mathrubhumi`s
Kollam correspondent V B Unnithanan last week.
On the endosulfan pesticide issue, Chandy said he had
written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to take steps to
implement a nationwide ban on it as 80 countries had already
Use of endosulfan in cashew plantations in northern parts
of Kasargode district had resulted in the deaths of several
persons and crippled many, following which it was banned in
Kerala last year.
Chandy alleged the LDF had failed to implement the rice at
Rs two per kg scheme as promised before the polls as the
decision was taken without doing proper groundwork.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan