Kerala: Pension to endosulfan victims increased
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala government on Tuesday decided to increase by Rs 200 the pension to cancer patients included in the list of endosulfan victims.
A decision in this regard was taken at a meeting here chaired by Chief Minister Oommen Chandy to discuss issues connected with people expose to endosulfan in Kasaragod district.
Those who were getting Rs 1000 would get Rs 1200 and those getting Rs 2000 would get Rs 2200.
The new pension amount would be paid witheffect from April this year, a statement said.
On the demand to write off loans to the families of the victims, Chandy instructed the District Collector to submit a proposal to the government with details in this regard.
The meeting also discussed about the Rehabilitation Village scheme for the affected persons. Possibility of utilising the 25 acres with Plantation Corporation at Moozhiyar in Kasaragod for rehabilitating the victims was discussed.
Chandy also instructed to take steps to alleviate the sufferings of people affected by spraying of endosulfan pesticide in the Kerala Cashew corporation Plantation in Kasargod and also to provide modern treatment facilities.
Several people were found to be suffering from various types of health problems especially in 11 panchayats of Kasargod district due to environment and water pollution caused by the aftereffects of endosulfan pesticide.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case