Kerala probing human trafficking through airports
Thiruvananthapuram: A probe has been ordered into reports that human trafficking was taking place from three international airports of Kerala, from where passengers flew to Middle East without proper travel documents, Chief Minister Oomen Chandy said Monday.
Chandy informed the state assembly that an inquiry has been initiated into such reports where agents were running the racket by allegedly greasing the palms of unscrupulous police officials, who mann the emigration department.
"The state police will inquire into what happened when they were looking after the airport emigration and today all the emigration work is being done by the Intelligence Bureau (IB) and we will ask them to conduct an inquiry since they took over," said Chandy.
Chandy was responding after the opposition members belonging to the Left parties alleged that human trafficking is rampant through the three airports.
"It was last week that reports surfaced that a Kerala Police constable A.P. Ajeeb posted at the emigration department at the Kochi airport was suspended following investigations that Rs.60 lakh was found in the bank account of his father," said Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) member P. Sreeramakrishnan.
"He (Ajeeb) for many years has been at the Kochi airport and has close links with other police officials attached to the emigration," Sreeramakrishnan said.
"Not less than 10,000 passengers from here - who include people from other states and even Sri Lanka - have gone through the Kerala airports by greasing the palms of the unscrupulous police officials who mann the emigration department in the recent years. A bribe of Rs.25,000 is collected from the passenger," added Sreeramakrishnan.
Recently there have been reports of women from Kerala having reached Middle East countries by greasing the palms of emigration officials and were trapped in flesh trade.
"We expect the director general of police (DGP) to submit his report on the human trafficking through the three airports in a matter of two weeks` time. I assure the house that we will deal with the report in the utmost seriousness because the pride of our women is at stake," assured state Home Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi