Kerala: Record polling of 86.3 pc in Piravom
Kochi: In a record in the constituency, 86.3
per cent polling was registered in the crucial Piravom bypoll
in Ernakulam district on Saturday, with both Congress and Marxist
led fronts hoping the heavy turnout augurs well for their
As per final figures released by the Election Commission,
86.3 per cent of voters of 1.83 lakh electorate had exercised
their franchise by 5 PM when polling came to a close.
In 1987, Piravom constituency had registered a record
turnout of 85.45 per cent. Gopi Kottamurikkal of CPI(M) had
won the Assembly polls then.
The highest turnout this time was 89.5 per cent in Maneed
while the lowest was at Elanji-- 82.5 per cent.
UDF candidate Anoop Thomas and his LDF rival MJ Jacob
were among the early voters.
Police also registered case against two CPI(m) MLAs-
Suresh Kurup (Ettumanoor) and Koliyakode N Krishnan Nair
(Vamanapuram) under Sections 188 and 126 of the Peoples
Representation act. Both MLAs were found at different polling
The bypoll was necessitated following the death of
former minister, TM Jacob, father of Anoop Jacob.
With the death of TM Jacob, the UDF strength in the 140
member Assembly had gone down to 71, while in the LDF camp,the
recent resignation of Neyyatinkara MLA, Selvraj has reduced
its strength to 67.
TM Jacob had won by a slender margin of 157 votes in 2011
Counting will be held on Mar 21.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read