Kerala: Record polling of 86.3 pc in Piravom
Kochi: In a record in the constituency, 86.3
per cent polling was registered in the crucial Piravom bypoll
in Ernakulam district on Saturday, with both Congress and Marxist
led fronts hoping the heavy turnout augurs well for their
As per final figures released by the Election Commission,
86.3 per cent of voters of 1.83 lakh electorate had exercised
their franchise by 5 PM when polling came to a close.
In 1987, Piravom constituency had registered a record
turnout of 85.45 per cent. Gopi Kottamurikkal of CPI(M) had
won the Assembly polls then.
The highest turnout this time was 89.5 per cent in Maneed
while the lowest was at Elanji-- 82.5 per cent.
UDF candidate Anoop Thomas and his LDF rival MJ Jacob
were among the early voters.
Police also registered case against two CPI(m) MLAs-
Suresh Kurup (Ettumanoor) and Koliyakode N Krishnan Nair
(Vamanapuram) under Sections 188 and 126 of the Peoples
Representation act. Both MLAs were found at different polling
The bypoll was necessitated following the death of
former minister, TM Jacob, father of Anoop Jacob.
With the death of TM Jacob, the UDF strength in the 140
member Assembly had gone down to 71, while in the LDF camp,the
recent resignation of Neyyatinkara MLA, Selvraj has reduced
its strength to 67.
TM Jacob had won by a slender margin of 157 votes in 2011
Counting will be held on Mar 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow