Kerala: Ruckus in Assembly over lathicharge
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Assembly on Thursday witnessed a ruckus between opposition and ruling members, who came to near blows over yesterday`s police lathichage on pro-Left organisations on the self-financing colleges issue.
Speaker G Karthikeyan called the watch-and-ward to prevent a commotion after two legislators rushed to the chair of the Chief Minister, and adjourned the House after the situation got out of control.
The trouble started after opposition Deputy Leader in the House Kodiyeri Balakrishnan, through an adjournment motion, raised the issue of "brutal" lathicharge on student activists who were protesting against "commercialisation of education" in the capital yesterday.
He said even R Rajesh, MLA representing Mavelikkara, came under attack by the police.
Replying to the motion, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said there was no justification in the student struggle as there was absolutely nothing different between the policies of the previous LDF government and UDF government on self-financing issue.
He also denied the charge that Rajesh was injured in the police action. "A cover was made by the police under Deputy Commissioner of police Thomas Jolly Cherian to protect him," he said.
On hearing this, CPI-M member Babu M Palissery rushed to the chair of the Chief Minister with a blood-stained cloth. Rajesh also followed him and showed the injury on his hand.
Ruling party members also got up and moved to the front benches. As both sides appeared to reach to near blows, the Speaker adjourned the House temporarily.
Earlier, during the question hour also, the opposition members raised the issue by holding placards condemning the lathicharge.
Though the opposition did not disrupt the proceedings, they
put questions on yesterday`s events when their turn came for
Education Minister PK Abdurabb and Speaker G Karthikeyan, however, declined to entertain the questions relating to the police handling of student agitation, holding that they were not directly related to the main question taken up on the
floor of the House.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre