Kerala schools reopen just as monsoon sets in
Thiruvananthapuram: For decades, schools in Kerala have reopened after the summer break just as the southwest monsoon begins. Monday was no different with about four lakh children in the state making their way to school in the pouring rain.
"Oh, this is just too bad. The rains should have stayed away on this Monday morning, our first day back in school," said Abel John, a student of Class 2 in the state capital.
As all state government-run schools reopened Monday, close to four lakh students returned to school after their summer break; many four-year-olds also had their first day in school.
The state government organised a gala opening day programme at Kozhikode, where State Education Minister Abdu Rabb distributed kits to new entrants.
India Meteorological Department declared two days ago that the monsoon had set in over the state, and the rains have since been beating down heavily.
"Kids find themselves drenched by the time they get to school. But what is the way out?" asked Mary Thomas, a school teacher in Kottayam, as she got ready to leave home for school with her daughter.
Kerala, the state with the highest literacy rate in the country, has 12,644 schools. Of these, 4,620 are state-owned, while 7,161 are state-supported. There are 863 unaided schools. In the last fiscal, 39.86 lakh students were enrolled in schools in the state.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog