Kerala seeks reconsideration of Gadgil report
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala on Friday said it would seek a relook into the Madhav Gadgil committee report on the Western Ghats, as most of its recommendations are `impractical` to implement.
The state`s stand on the issue was formalised at an all party meeting convened a day ahead of the visit of the Working Group headed by eminent space scientist and Planning Commission member K Kasturirgangan, set up to examine it.
Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said the state felt most recommendations in the report are impractical to implement. "We will ask the Kasturirangan panel to reconsider the entire Madhav Gadgil committee report", he said.
Kerala would also ask the panel to visit Idukki and Waynad districts, where the adverse impact of the Gadgil report was more, he said.
The nine-member Group, set up by the Environment Ministry in the wake of opposition to it from many states, including Kerala.
Terms of the committee are to examine the Gadgil committee report `in a holistic and multidisciplinary fashion keeping in view the comments received from the concerned state governments, central ministries, stakeholders".
The Gadgil panel report had termed Western Ghats as an extremely ecologically sensitive region and favoured restricted mining and other development activities, which was opposed by several state governments.
Western Ghats is one of the identified hotspots of biological diversity globally and has many endemic species of flowering plants, endemic fishes, amphibians, reptiles, birds, mammals and invertebrates.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof