Kerala seeks reconsideration of Gadgil report
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala on Friday said it would seek a relook into the Madhav Gadgil committee report on the Western Ghats, as most of its recommendations are `impractical` to implement.
The state`s stand on the issue was formalised at an all party meeting convened a day ahead of the visit of the Working Group headed by eminent space scientist and Planning Commission member K Kasturirgangan, set up to examine it.
Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said the state felt most recommendations in the report are impractical to implement. "We will ask the Kasturirangan panel to reconsider the entire Madhav Gadgil committee report", he said.
Kerala would also ask the panel to visit Idukki and Waynad districts, where the adverse impact of the Gadgil report was more, he said.
The nine-member Group, set up by the Environment Ministry in the wake of opposition to it from many states, including Kerala.
Terms of the committee are to examine the Gadgil committee report `in a holistic and multidisciplinary fashion keeping in view the comments received from the concerned state governments, central ministries, stakeholders".
The Gadgil panel report had termed Western Ghats as an extremely ecologically sensitive region and favoured restricted mining and other development activities, which was opposed by several state governments.
Western Ghats is one of the identified hotspots of biological diversity globally and has many endemic species of flowering plants, endemic fishes, amphibians, reptiles, birds, mammals and invertebrates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands