Kerala sex scandal: 5 gets 10 yrs RI
Thiruvananthapuram: Five persons have been
sentenced to 10 years rigorous imprisonment by a special CBI
court for their involvement in the sensational Kiliroor sex
scandal of 2004 in which a minor girl was sexually exploited.
The CBI court here also imposed a fine of Rs one lakh on
the convicts -- Praveen, Manoj, Latha Nair, Binu alias
Kochumon, Prasanth -- which will be given to the victim`s
CBI investigation revealed that the minor girl was
enticed by the accused with an offer of acting in television
serials. She was taken to various places and gang raped.
Consequently, she became pregnant and delivered a baby girl on
August 15, 2004 in Medical College Hospital, Kottayam.
During the post delivery treatment, she suffered from
sub-acute intestinal obstruction for which she underwent
laparoscopy and two laparotamies. During further treatment,
she was affected by septicaemia and died on November 13, 2004.
The CBI had registered a case on January 27, 2005.
"After completion of the investigation, a charge sheet
was filed before the Court of Chief Judicial Magistrate,
Ernakulam on June 8, 2006 against nine accused -- Omanakutty,
Praveen, Manoj, Latha, Binu, Prasanth, Somanathan, Abdul
Lathif and VR Devadas," a CBI spokesperson said in a release
Later, the cases were transferred to Special Court for
CBI cases, Thiruvananthapuram.
The case against Lathif and Devadas was split up as the
charge against them was only under Section 212 of the Indian
Penal Code (habouring accused Latha Nair) and is continuing.
Another accused Omanakutty was taken as approver, the official
The trial court convicted the five accused and acquitted
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest