Kerala stoking `fear and insecurity` over dam row
Chennai: Making it clear that it would not
compromise on its rights on the Mullaperiyar Dam issue, AIADMK
government in Tamil Nadu today alleged it was a victim of the
Centre`s "persistent indifference" and accused Kerala of
whipping up "mass fear and insecurity" over the row.
"The attempts on the part of Kerala to whip up mass fear
and insecurity through false propaganda have been the primary
cause of these (recent violent) incidents," Governor K Rosaiah
said in his customary address to the first session of the
Tamil Nadu assembly this year.
"Tamil Nadu is all for ensuring the safety of the dam and I
earnestly appeal to the people of Kerala not to succumb to
such malicious campaign," he said, outlining the government`s
policies and priorities in his first address since becoming
He said the state government was committed to maintaining
cordial relationship with all neighbouring states but Tamil
Nadu was a victim of the "persistent indifference" of the
Union Government besides "false and parochial" campaigns
launched with "short-sighted political interests."
"We also urge the Government of India to direct the Kerala
government to abide by the decision of the Supreme Court,"
the governor said.
Tamil Nadu would not compromise on its rights and
livelihood of its farmers and would defend them in all
appropriate fora and courts of law, Rosaiah said.
He said Tamil Nadu had shown the utmost restraint and ably
handled the recent incidents relating to the Mullaperiyar Dam.
The row had intensified since November with both Tamil Nadu
and Kerala sparring over the latter`s insistence on building a
new dam in place of the 116-year old Mullaperiyar reservoir,
causing tension in border areas of both states.
Kerala has been citing safety concerns for its demand to
decommission the dam, which feeds five southern districts in
Tamil Nadu, under whose control it comes on a 999 year lease.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- FSSAI testing more Maggi; brand ambassadors can be liable: Govt
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi