Kerala Thunder Bolts ready for action
Thiruvananthapuram: `Kerala Thunder Bolts,` the first commando force of Kerala police under the India Reserve Battalion (IRB) with begin operations by the end of this month.
Two companies of Thunder Bolts, having 160 personnel, were being recruited after two years of rigorous and specialised training, R Sreelekha, ADGP (Armed Police Battalion) told reporters here on Monday.
Forty more personnel are now being trained and would be absorbed into the force later, she said.
The passing-out parade of the commandos will be held on August 24. A tactical demonstration of the first batch would be held at the Chandrasekharan Nair stadium here tomorrow in the presence of Chief Minister Oommen Chandy and Home Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan.
The commando force had been trained to have the expertise of National Security Guards and Special Protection Group. CRPF Assistant Commandant L Solomon had been working as the mentor trainer of the force, Sreelekha said.
The commandos are in the 18-21 age group and had been imparted training in battle obstacles assault course, mob operation, jungle warfare, anti-terrorism, counter urban insurgency, bomb detection and disposal, disaster management, underwater and airborne operations.
Their equipment are of world standards, including tactical vests, light weight bullet jackets, tactical boots, hi-tech communication devices, satellite phones, night vision devices and specially designed helmets, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar