Kerala tightens norms for booking room in MLAs` hostel
Thiruvananthapuram: Following an all-party meeting held here on Wednesday, Kerala Assembly Speaker G Karthikeyan has announced very strict norms for entry of visitors to the MLAs` hostel which will also be applicable to ex-legislators.
"You all know the reason why we had an all-party meeting today and it has now been agreed that rooms will be allotted to ex-legislators only if he/she comes in person and signs the register. Not more than 10 days in a month would the room be available and in one stretch, the maximum number of the days that (room) would be given (for) is five," Karthikeyan told reporters here.
The sudden action taken by the speaker comes after reports from the state police that an accused in a blackmailing case was tracked down to the MLA hostel. He stayed put there for a few days in a room that was booked by former Congress legislator T Saratchandra Prasad.
"The accused was tracked by the police using mobile tower location and he was arrested after he drove out of the hostel campus. The police had sought the permission of the legislature secretary to keep a tab on the accused from outside. The police never entered the MLA hostel," added Karthikeyan.
Located in the heart of the city, the MLA hostel allows former legislators to hire a room for Rs 10 per day.
The recent episode is not the first when this facility has been misused and used as a hideout for those facing arrest.
Following the tightening of security in the MLA hostel campus, no outside vehicles would be allowed to be parked inside and the campus will now be under CCTV surveillance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow