Kerala to fight for classical status for Malayalam
Thiruvananthapuram: Expressing displeasure over moves to deny classical status to Malayalam language, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy today informed the assembly that Kerala would fight for it as it is the state`s right.
"Granting classical status to Malayalam language is not charity given by anybody and government will continue to take up the issue with the Centre," he said while replying to a submission on the matter.
Minister for Culture and Rural Development K C Joseph said there was no justification for denying the classical tag to Malayalam.
The issue was taken up by Palode Ravi (Congress).
Joseph said Malayalam language is 1500 years old and was as old as the other languages that have been given classical status in South India.
Meanwhile, academic and literary circles have resented the stand of the language panel of Kendra Sahitya Akademi against according classical status to Malayalam on the ground it is a `younger` language compared to Tamil and other southern tongues.
Kerala has been pressing for classical tag for quite some time as it is the only South Indian language which does not have that status.
The previous LDF government had stepped up efforts to get Malayalam elevated to the higher rank. A panel of scholars had drawn up a comprehensive report, citing the antiquity and tradition of the language spoken by Keralites.
A recent meeting of the Akademi`s sub-panel headed by an eminent linguist at Hyderabad had rejected the claim, arguing that the tag was conferred only on those languages which are at least 1500-2000 years old.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony