Kerala to formulate stand on Haj subsidy
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Government has decided to convene a meeting of Muslim religious organisations in the state to elicit their views on the recent Supreme Court direction to the Centre to phase out Haj subsidy, according to Industries Minister P K Kunhalikutty.
The meeting is being beld to formulate the Government`s stand on Haj subsidy to be informed to the Apex Court, Kunhalkutty, who also holds Wakf affairs portfolio, told PTI.
He said the Central Haj Committee had also not yet formulated its stand on the issue.
Kunhalikutty said Kerala wanted its Haj quota to be enhanced, considering the huge increase in applicants for travelling to Mecca to perform the pilgrimage.
"We have already taken up the matter with the Ministry of External Affairs. Though we have not received any assurance so far, we hope that the Centre would consider our plea positively," he added.
On May 8, the Supreme Court had directed the government to phase out Haj subsidy within a period of 10 years, saying this amount can be more profitably used for social and educational development of the Muslim community.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Eurozone business activity strong despite Brexit: Survey
- India does not play for rankings, says Virat Kohli
- US backs Amnesty over India sedition case, says it respects group's right to express freely
- ''No Indian hand in Nepal government change''
- Daddy's little girl Priyanka Chopra remembers father on his third birth anniversary! See pic