Kerala to give ex-ISRO scientist Rs 10 lakh relief
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala government will hand over at the earliest Rs 10 lakh as interim compensation to former ISRO scientist S Nambi Narayanan, who was framed in a false espionage case, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said on Wednesday.
"The High Court recently directed to pay him (Narayanan) a compensation of Rs one million and the cabinet today decided that it would be done at the earliest," Chandy said.
Last month, the Kerala High Court upheld the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) order directing the government to pay an interim compensation of Rs 10 lakh to the former ISRO scientist.
The original petition of Narayanan, filed about 12 years ago, asked for a compensation of Rs 10 million.
Narayanan in the early 1990s was working on the cryogenic technology at the Indian Space Research Organisation centre here when he was arrested on false espionage charges along with another top ISRO official, two Maldivian women and a businessman.
The case was dismissed by the Supreme Court in 1996 and thereafter the scientist filed a compensation petition in a lower court here.
The CBI also gave Narayanan a clean chit and indicated that the police officials who brought charges against him did not do a clean job.
"I am yet to get a copy of the judgment and we will have no qualms to have a re-look if the situation warrants," said Chandy when asked if the state government would look into the role played by police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`