Kerala to have new zoo
Thrissur (Kerala): Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy will lay the foundation stone for a state-of-the-art zoo at Puthoor near here on Saturday.
Veterinarian and elephant expert Jacob Cheeran said that this project has been in the pipeline for a while.
"The zoo will come up in a 330-acre area which was originally degraded forests and had cashew plantations. It will be completed in three stages in seven years," said Cheeran, a committee member of the first expert group that was set up to draw a roadmap for the zoo.
Australian environmental architect John Coe provided the plan for the zoo after he was approached by film star-turned-politician and state Forest Minister KB Ganesh Kumar.
The state government has sanctioned Rs 5 crore while the central government has cleared Rs 100 crore for the zoo, according to the local Congress legislator MP Vincent.
"Animals in the zoo here will be transferred to the new zoo and more animals will be brought in when the zoo becomes functional," said Cheeran.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists