Kerala to offer 3 more subsidised LPG cylinders
Thiruvananthapuram: In line with party high command`s move, the Congress-led UDF government in Kerala on Wednesday raised the number of subsidised LPG cylinders from the proposed six to nine for each BPL household in a year and also decided to withdraw the additional tax on hiked diesel price.
With the decision, price of diesel in the state would come down by Rs 1.14 per litre and the revenue loss due to the move would be about Rs 180 crore per year, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy told reporters here.
Below Poverty Line families would get cylinders upto a maxium of nine at subsidised rate. The number of cylinders used by the consumers during 2011-12 would be taken as the base for getting the additional cylinders, he said.
After estimating the commitment for the LPG cylinder for BPL, the government would examine whether it was possible to extend the subsidy to other income groups, Chandy said.
The government`s intention was to cover the middle income group also under the purview of subsidy, he said.
These relief measures were part of Congress` policy and had the approval of Party high command, he said.
Taking a dig at the West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, Chandy said `a party leader is withdrawing support to UPA government without initiating any relief as announced by the UDF government`.
However, Chandy said reforms should be undertaken with an eye on the people and should have a human face.
"I am in favour of changes and reforms, but it should be with human face and with an eye on people", he said.
Alluding to the relief measures announced, Chandy, who has earlier said the Centre could have avoided the diesel price hike and cap on subsidised LPG cylinders, said the state government cannot remain a silent spectator to the sufferings of the people.
“The UDF government is doing the maximum what a state government can do in the present circumstances,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark