Kerala to pass Protection of Women bill soon
Thiruvananthapuram: Congress-led UDF government in Kerala Friday announced that it would soon enact a new legislation to provide greater safety for women and a policy that asserts the right of every woman to live without fear and with respect.
In his customary address to the assembly on the first session of the year, Governor H R Bhardwaj said `Nirbhaya`, a comprehensive policy that asserted the right of every woman, had already been notified.
Bhardwaj said new programmes were initiated in the wake of growing atrocities against women and the gruesome events in the recent past symbolised by the tragic death of a young lady (referring to the Delhi gangrape incident).
As the first phase of making the state `Women and Child Friendly, one Panchayat in every district would be declared a `Women and Child Friendly` Panchayat during 2013-14, he said, referring to another programme.
On other welfare schemes to be taken up by government, Bhardwaj said in the first phase of its flagship programme `Zero Landless State by 2015`, government plans to provide one-lakh poor families with three cents by August this year.
For the growth of IT sector, government intended to start an `Innovation Zone` with an initial investment of Rs.100 crore in Kochi to accelerate innovation and entrepreneurship in the state, he said.
To check the rise in price of essential commodities, he said the government would take steps to further strengthen PDS and would also open more `Maveli` stores (fair price shops) and would continue to distribute 25 kg of rice at one Rupee to BPL category families.
On the agriculture front, he said a new Agrarian Policy would be declared soon and establishment of a Farmers Welfare Fund Board and Farmer`s Tribunal was under active consideration. This year`s slogan would be `Karshaka Raksha Bhakshya Subiksha`, he said.
A Social Security Fund on a participatory mode would be set up during the current financial year and a high Tech Cooperative Farming in association with the Agriculture Department would be encouraged, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter