Kerala to pass Protection of Women bill soon
Thiruvananthapuram: Congress-led UDF government in Kerala Friday announced that it would soon enact a new legislation to provide greater safety for women and a policy that asserts the right of every woman to live without fear and with respect.
In his customary address to the assembly on the first session of the year, Governor H R Bhardwaj said `Nirbhaya`, a comprehensive policy that asserted the right of every woman, had already been notified.
Bhardwaj said new programmes were initiated in the wake of growing atrocities against women and the gruesome events in the recent past symbolised by the tragic death of a young lady (referring to the Delhi gangrape incident).
As the first phase of making the state `Women and Child Friendly, one Panchayat in every district would be declared a `Women and Child Friendly` Panchayat during 2013-14, he said, referring to another programme.
On other welfare schemes to be taken up by government, Bhardwaj said in the first phase of its flagship programme `Zero Landless State by 2015`, government plans to provide one-lakh poor families with three cents by August this year.
For the growth of IT sector, government intended to start an `Innovation Zone` with an initial investment of Rs.100 crore in Kochi to accelerate innovation and entrepreneurship in the state, he said.
To check the rise in price of essential commodities, he said the government would take steps to further strengthen PDS and would also open more `Maveli` stores (fair price shops) and would continue to distribute 25 kg of rice at one Rupee to BPL category families.
On the agriculture front, he said a new Agrarian Policy would be declared soon and establishment of a Farmers Welfare Fund Board and Farmer`s Tribunal was under active consideration. This year`s slogan would be `Karshaka Raksha Bhakshya Subiksha`, he said.
A Social Security Fund on a participatory mode would be set up during the current financial year and a high Tech Cooperative Farming in association with the Agriculture Department would be encouraged, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!