Kerala to press for Classical status for Malayalam
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala government has
decided to pursue with the Centre its demand for according
classical status for Malayalam language, State Minister for
Education and Culture M A Baby said today.
The International Dravidan Language Study Centre here has
been asked to prepare necessary documents to support Kerala`s
requesta, Baby said while replying to CPI-M`s M M Monaye`s
calling attention motion in the assembly.
An all party delegation led by Chief Minister V S
Achuthanandan and Opposition leader Oommen Chandy had a few
months ago submitted a memorandum to Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh on the matter, he said.
The Prime Minister had assured the delegation that Centre
would favourably consider the state`s request, Baby said.
The Government also plans to hold a `Malayalam language
Convention`, similar to the one conducted by Tamil Nadu
government for Tamil language, he said.
The date of the convention would be decided later.
It has also been decided to make teaching of Malayalam
language compulsory in all English medium schools in the
state, he said. The schools with Central syllabus have also
been asked to include Malayalam language in their curriculum,
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail