Kerala to press for Classical status for Malayalam
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala government has
decided to pursue with the Centre its demand for according
classical status for Malayalam language, State Minister for
Education and Culture M A Baby said today.
The International Dravidan Language Study Centre here has
been asked to prepare necessary documents to support Kerala`s
requesta, Baby said while replying to CPI-M`s M M Monaye`s
calling attention motion in the assembly.
An all party delegation led by Chief Minister V S
Achuthanandan and Opposition leader Oommen Chandy had a few
months ago submitted a memorandum to Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh on the matter, he said.
The Prime Minister had assured the delegation that Centre
would favourably consider the state`s request, Baby said.
The Government also plans to hold a `Malayalam language
Convention`, similar to the one conducted by Tamil Nadu
government for Tamil language, he said.
The date of the convention would be decided later.
It has also been decided to make teaching of Malayalam
language compulsory in all English medium schools in the
state, he said. The schools with Central syllabus have also
been asked to include Malayalam language in their curriculum,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued