Kerala to press for Classical status for Malayalam
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala government has
decided to pursue with the Centre its demand for according
classical status for Malayalam language, State Minister for
Education and Culture M A Baby said today.
The International Dravidan Language Study Centre here has
been asked to prepare necessary documents to support Kerala`s
requesta, Baby said while replying to CPI-M`s M M Monaye`s
calling attention motion in the assembly.
An all party delegation led by Chief Minister V S
Achuthanandan and Opposition leader Oommen Chandy had a few
months ago submitted a memorandum to Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh on the matter, he said.
The Prime Minister had assured the delegation that Centre
would favourably consider the state`s request, Baby said.
The Government also plans to hold a `Malayalam language
Convention`, similar to the one conducted by Tamil Nadu
government for Tamil language, he said.
The date of the convention would be decided later.
It has also been decided to make teaching of Malayalam
language compulsory in all English medium schools in the
state, he said. The schools with Central syllabus have also
been asked to include Malayalam language in their curriculum,
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’