Kerala to streamline distribution of LPG, petroleum products
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala government is planning to streamline distribution of LPG and other petroleum products in the state in the wake of last week`s tanker explosion at Kannur that has so far claimed 19 lives.
"The government has called a meeting of petroleum companies here tomorrow to discuss various proposals to streamline the distribution of LPG and other petroleum products," Chief Minister Oommen Chandy told reporters on Monday.
He was speaking after a special cabinet meeting that discussed steps to be taken to avoid accidents involving tankers ferrying inflammable products.
Stating that the present distribution system is "unscientific" and benefitted only transport companies and not the people, he noted that about 40,000 such tankers ply the roads in Kerala every day, "which is quite frightening".
The government also wants Indian Oil Corporation to start work on the Import Terminal coming up at Puthuvaypeen in Kochi, he said.
The state would hold discussions with Railways to allow petroleum companies use the `Road on Rail` service to carry petroleum products to reduce the burden on road transport, he said.
Chandy said the government would pay Rs 10 lakh to the next of kin of those killed in the August 27 LPG tanker explosion, Rs five lakh to those with 40 per cent burn injuries and up to Rs two lakh to other injured.
The government would meet the treatment costs of all the injured, he said.
The state would also request IOC to provide jobs to one of the member of the deceased`s family and also of the injured in the accident, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!