Kerala top cop convicted in Naxal Varghese case
Kochi: Forty years after Naxal leader A
Varghese was killed, a CBI Special Court here Wednesday found
former IGP K Lakshmana guilty of murder in the encounter
killing case but acquitted former DGP P Vijayan.
Varghese was gunned down by police in the Thiruvenlli
forests in Kerala`s Wayanad district on February 18, 1970 in
what was described as an "encounter" death.
Delivering the judgement, CBI Special court Judge S
Vijay Kumar said the first accused in the case, late CRPF
constable P Ramachandran Nair had murdered Varghese on the
command of Lakshmana, the second accused, who was then Deputy
Superintendent of Police.
The judge convicted Lakshmana, who is in his eighties,
of the offence under Sect 302 (murder) read with Sect 34
(common intention) of IPC but acquitted P Vijayan, giving him
the benefit of doubt.
Lakshmana and Vijayan, who came in a wheelchair, were
present in court when the judgement was read out.
The quantum of sentence will be delivered tomorrow.
Immediately after the verdict, Lakshmana was taken to
the sub-court at Ernakulam.
83-year-old Vijayan, who was SP Kozhikode when the
incident occurred, told reporters he was happy with the
The case made headlines a few years ago after
Ramachandran Nair confessed in 1998 that he had shot Varghese
at the behest of Vijayan and Lakshamana.
"Truth by its very nature does not yield to be kept
hidden for ever. Truth which has been hitherto hidden as
covered by the glitter of golden plate, has by now, though
belatedly, been discovered. Truth triumphs; Truth alone," the
"For the present purpose no more evidence is needed,
it is proved beyond any shadow of reasonable doubt that
Varghese was brutally killed by the first accused who was a
stooge at the hands of Lakshamana, who on his order brought
about his plan."
"It is thus satisfied that the theory of death of
Varghese in police encounter is an advance defence moulded as
a pretext to commit the crime," the court held.
Available evidence in this case has withstood the test
of time and has convincingly proved the complicity of
Lakshamana. Equally the evidence is also not sufficient to
prove the involvement of third accused, P Vijayan beyond
reasonable doubt, the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow