Kerala Tourism on marketing blitz in Australia, ME
Mumbai: Buoyed by an over 11 per cent
increase in foreign tourist arrivals in 2011, which was a bad year for the global tourism industry given the bleak economic
environment, Kerala is on a marketing blitz to attract more travellers from the Middle East and Down Under.
"We plan to spend over Rs 10 crore on mass media
campaigns and road shows alone in the Middle East and
Australia this year," Kerala Tourism Director Rani George told
PTI in Thiruvananthapuram recently.
This is significant, considering that the entire
marketing budget for the Tourism Department of `God`s Own
Country`, which is how Kerala is known in global tourism
circles, is only Rs 35 crore for the year.
The marketing blitz in the Middle East involves road
shows and mass media campaigns involving television and the
print media. The first leg of the campaign has already been
kicked off in Saudi Arabia, with its three main cities of
Riyadh, Jeddah and Dhamam as the focal points of the road
shows, George said.
In Australia, too, the department will be using the mass
media and road show models to lure Australians to the country,
she said, adding that the campaign will kick off in early
The other focal markets for 2012 will be Russia and
China, she added.
George further said the department has empanelled
creative agency Stark to come out with a tourism awareness
film that will help locals respect foreigners visiting the
state. The ad film will be ready in the next six months and
will be aired in the main markets of Europe and Britain, she
"Foreign tourist arrivals rose 11.18 per cent in 2011 to
7.32 lakh, while domestic arrivals touched 93.8 lakh during
the year, which is an increase of 9.15 per cent," George said.
In revenue terms, those from foreign tourists rose
11.2 per cent to Rs 4,221 crore, George said adding, "the
overall revenue from tourism touched Rs 19,037 crore, which is
an increase of 9.74 per cent in 2011 over 2010."
This makes the contribution of tourism to the state
GDP nearly 10 per cent, she added.
Last year, the revenue from tourism had crossed Rs
17,000 crore, constituting 9 per cent of the state GDP.
On the prospects for this year, George said, she is
targeting an 8-10 per cent spike in overall arrivals.
When asked whether the department is looking at new
tourism circuits in the state, she said, the state is already
working a Northern Circuit, which will be completed in FY13.
"For the central part, we are developing a heritage
project in Kodungaloor in Thrissur district. Called the
Muziris Heritage Project, this involves Rs 200 crore
investment," the tourism director said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in