Kerala’s ‘kutty police’ a big hit
Thiruvananthapuram: Ever wondered if children could discipline a city, check crime, and curb eve-teasing? Yes, the school children of Kerala have managed to achieve the same.
Called the ‘kutty police’ (little policemen) of Kerala, school children between the age of 14 and 18 have been managing traffic and check minor crimes in the state.
Their presence on the streets has led to a sharp decline in eve-teasers and drug peddlers, especially near schools. They have also helped curb the sale of cigarettes and gutkhas close to schools.
Way back in August 2010, the then Kozhikode police commissioner P Vijayan started an experiment and enrolled school children as part of the Student Police Cadets (SPC). A little less than two years later, 11,000 students from across 127 schools in the state are part of the force.
And their popularity is growing – not just in Kerala but across the country.
The student cadets patrol around schools in the morning and evening dressed smartly in khakis.
They have been trained by teachers as part of school-level community policing. Part of the ‘special curriculum’ are lessons in physical training and awareness on social maladies and crime.
Vijayan, who is now Thrissur Police Commissioner and nodal officer of the SPC, told Hindustan Times: “This farsighted school-level activity will generate big benefits like greater internal security, healthier and safer communities, and responsible future citizens.”
The initiative has received widespread appreciation, including former RAW chief Hormis Tharakan. The 2011 All India Police Science Congress had also recommended all states to raise SPC units. The National Police Mission and the Rajasthan and Andhra Pradesh governments have also expressed interest in the initiative, reported the daily.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire