Keralites celebrate Onam across Gulf
Dubai: Expatriates from the south Indian state of Kerala celebrated the harvest festival Onam with traditional fervour across various Gulf countries.
Keralites in the Gulf celebrated the festival Monday by partaking the special Onam meal, Onam Sadya, that comprises 20 to 30 dishes served on banana leaves and includes varieties of vegetables, rice, banana and payasam, media reported.
“We do miss colourful celebrations with a lot of activities back home,” Gulf News quoted Gopa Kumar, who works for a private firm in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), as saying.
“But at the same time this occasion reminds us the advantages of life in the UAE,” he said.
Kumar`s wife and mother-in-law woke up early Monday to prepare Onam Sadya for the family that includes his two schoolgoing children.
“Being a working day, we prepared the Onam Sadya before leaving for work and came back in the afternoon to enjoy the feast together,” Kumar said.
In Saudi Arabia, the Indian embassy and Indian schools observed a holiday and hotels and restaurants run by Keralites prepared Onam Sadya.
Dammam, Riyadh and Jeddah, where the maximum number of Keralites in Saudi Arabia live, witnessed huge crowds in various hotels for the special festival feast.
“Being a Keralite I have to celebrate our national harvest festival wherever I am living,” the Saudi Gazette quoted Balakrishna Pillai, a design engineer in Saudi Arabia, as saying.
In Oman, hotels and catering establishments did roaring business, but most of them found it difficult to meet the orders for Onam Sadya, the Times of Oman reported.
"By 11.30 a.m. itself, we stopped taking further orders for takeaways because we knew we would be unable to meet the demand," a hotelier in Ruwi told the newspaper.
Keralites make for the bulk of the expatriate Indian population in the Gulf countries.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections