Kerela civic body to provide lunch, breakfast at Rs 10
Thiruvananthapuram: In a bid to help the poor in the backdrop of soaring prices of essential commodities and cooking gas, a civic body in Kerala is planning to provide breakfast and lunch at just Rs 10.
The Malappuram Municipality in northern part of the state has worked out a scheme to open a hotel near the municipal bus stand to serve "lip-smacking" traditional delicacies at an affordable price.
A top official said the hotel, expected to be operational within two months, would help poor and below-poverty-line (BPL) people to get food at cheaper rate.
"We have already set apart an amount of Rs 30 lakh for the project in the annual budget of the municipality. We expect the support of the state Social Security Mission also in the initiative," Municipality Chairman KP Muhammed Mustafa told PTI.
Under the plan, five idlis and two curries will be served for breakfast and rice and four curries will be given for lunch, he said.
Volunteers of the state`s poverty eradication mission "Kudumbasree" will be roped in for cooking and serving food at the hotel, he said.
In the initial phase, breakfast for 500 people and lunch for 1,000 would be prepared daily, the official added.
The Malappuram Municipality, the first municipal body in the country to win an ISO certification for quality management, has already been serving food free of cost for around 400 poor people daily for the last two years under the `hunger-free city` project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery