Kerela civic body to provide lunch, breakfast at Rs 10
Thiruvananthapuram: In a bid to help the poor in the backdrop of soaring prices of essential commodities and cooking gas, a civic body in Kerala is planning to provide breakfast and lunch at just Rs 10.
The Malappuram Municipality in northern part of the state has worked out a scheme to open a hotel near the municipal bus stand to serve "lip-smacking" traditional delicacies at an affordable price.
A top official said the hotel, expected to be operational within two months, would help poor and below-poverty-line (BPL) people to get food at cheaper rate.
"We have already set apart an amount of Rs 30 lakh for the project in the annual budget of the municipality. We expect the support of the state Social Security Mission also in the initiative," Municipality Chairman KP Muhammed Mustafa told PTI.
Under the plan, five idlis and two curries will be served for breakfast and rice and four curries will be given for lunch, he said.
Volunteers of the state`s poverty eradication mission "Kudumbasree" will be roped in for cooking and serving food at the hotel, he said.
In the initial phase, breakfast for 500 people and lunch for 1,000 would be prepared daily, the official added.
The Malappuram Municipality, the first municipal body in the country to win an ISO certification for quality management, has already been serving food free of cost for around 400 poor people daily for the last two years under the `hunger-free city` project.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’