Kerela: Fire at Apollo Tyres, none injured
Kochi: A major fire broke out at the production unit of Apollo Tyres Kalamassery unit here on Monday night but no one was injured, police said.
The blaze on the first floor of the unit, which was noticed at around 10:30 pm during the shift change, was brought under control after over one-and-a-half hours, police said.
Machinery and rubber have been destroyed, sources said.
At least six fire tenders were engaged to bring the blaze under control.
The unit, which was originally Premier Tyres, was acquired by Apollo in 1995 and manufactures most of the tyres Apollo exports.The company has another plant in Kerala at Perambra in Thrissur.
During his visit here last month for the AGM, Apollo Tyres Chairman Onkar S Kanwar told reporters they had plans to invest Rs 300 crore in the Kalamassery unit in the next two years to make it an export unit for Industrial tyres for exporting to Europe, South America and North America.
Apollo Tyres Ltd manufactures tyres and tubes for two-wheelers, cars, trucks and tractors.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31