Kerela police secure custody of Bitti, to be taken to Raj first
Kannur (Ker): German woman rape case convict Bitti Mohanty, who was arrested in Kerala, will be first taken to Rajasthan where he jumped parole seven years ago while serving a prison term there after the state police secured his custody today for 10 days.
Police said a Special Investigating Team (SIT) would be tasked with gathering as much evidence as possible to establish the identity of Bitti, who had been living in Kerala as "Raghav Raja" and secured a job in a PSU bank.
First Class Judicial Magistrate of Payyannur, S Smitha, granted the state police plea for Bitti`s custody on the ground he needed to be further interrogated and taken to places of his association in Rajasthan, Andhra Pradesh and native state Odisha for gathering evidence.
According to police sources, Bitti could be first taken to Rajasthan from where he fled while on parole in 2006 while serving the sentence for raping a German woman. Bitti, who jumped parole while serving a seven-year prison term, was arrested in Kannur in north Kerala last week.
The state police formed a 20-member Special Investigation Team to probe details about Bitti during the period between his jumping parole and arrest here last week.
According to Kannur SP Rahul R Nair, the team, headed by DySP K S Sudharshan, would be tasked with gathering as much evidence as possible to establish the identity of Bitti.
The team would be divided into four squads, each comprising five personnel. Three of them would separately go to Andhra Pradesh, Rajasthan and Odisha.
One squad, on the other hand, would entirely focus on Bitti`s life and activities after he came to Kannur, from where he has obtained an MBA degree and got the job as a probationary officer in a public sector bank under the fake name "Raghav Raja."
A police team from Rajasthan is also on its way here and would make further confirmation of Bitti`s identity. To start with, police from the two states were likely to proceed together to Jaipur as part of the investigation, sources said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060