Kerela police secure custody of Bitti, to be taken to Raj first
Kannur (Ker): German woman rape case convict Bitti Mohanty, who was arrested in Kerala, will be first taken to Rajasthan where he jumped parole seven years ago while serving a prison term there after the state police secured his custody today for 10 days.
Police said a Special Investigating Team (SIT) would be tasked with gathering as much evidence as possible to establish the identity of Bitti, who had been living in Kerala as "Raghav Raja" and secured a job in a PSU bank.
First Class Judicial Magistrate of Payyannur, S Smitha, granted the state police plea for Bitti`s custody on the ground he needed to be further interrogated and taken to places of his association in Rajasthan, Andhra Pradesh and native state Odisha for gathering evidence.
According to police sources, Bitti could be first taken to Rajasthan from where he fled while on parole in 2006 while serving the sentence for raping a German woman. Bitti, who jumped parole while serving a seven-year prison term, was arrested in Kannur in north Kerala last week.
The state police formed a 20-member Special Investigation Team to probe details about Bitti during the period between his jumping parole and arrest here last week.
According to Kannur SP Rahul R Nair, the team, headed by DySP K S Sudharshan, would be tasked with gathering as much evidence as possible to establish the identity of Bitti.
The team would be divided into four squads, each comprising five personnel. Three of them would separately go to Andhra Pradesh, Rajasthan and Odisha.
One squad, on the other hand, would entirely focus on Bitti`s life and activities after he came to Kannur, from where he has obtained an MBA degree and got the job as a probationary officer in a public sector bank under the fake name "Raghav Raja."
A police team from Rajasthan is also on its way here and would make further confirmation of Bitti`s identity. To start with, police from the two states were likely to proceed together to Jaipur as part of the investigation, sources said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read