Killing of fishermen cold-blooded murder: Chandy
Kochi: Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on Saturday said firing by armed guards on-board an Italian merchant ship killing two Indian fishermen off the Kollam coast was "cold-blooded murder" and legal action would be taken against
the crew of the merchant vessel responsible for the attack.
"Strict legal action will certainly be taken against the guilty," he told reporters after a meeting of the United Democratic Front (UDF) meeting here.
Chandy said he had held discussions with Advocate General KP Dandapani on the issue.
"Timely action has been taken against the ship. The Coast Guard had traced the vessel `Enrica Lexie` within hours of the incident and the ship has been brought to Kochi port," he said.
Welcoming the stand of the Union government in the issue, the chief minister said the state government was constantly in touch with the Centre.
"We are continuously in touch with the Ministry of External Affairs...We are taking it as a very serious case," he said, adding that a case has already been registered
against the crew.
Two fishermen -- Ajesh Binki (25) and Jalastein (45) -- were killed on February 15 off the Kollam coast near Kerala when armed guards of the Italian ship fired at their boat, suspecting it to be a vessel belonging to pirates.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre