Killing of fishermen cold-blooded murder: Chandy
Kochi: Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on Saturday said firing by armed guards on-board an Italian merchant ship killing two Indian fishermen off the Kollam coast was "cold-blooded murder" and legal action would be taken against
the crew of the merchant vessel responsible for the attack.
"Strict legal action will certainly be taken against the guilty," he told reporters after a meeting of the United Democratic Front (UDF) meeting here.
Chandy said he had held discussions with Advocate General KP Dandapani on the issue.
"Timely action has been taken against the ship. The Coast Guard had traced the vessel `Enrica Lexie` within hours of the incident and the ship has been brought to Kochi port," he said.
Welcoming the stand of the Union government in the issue, the chief minister said the state government was constantly in touch with the Centre.
"We are continuously in touch with the Ministry of External Affairs...We are taking it as a very serious case," he said, adding that a case has already been registered
against the crew.
Two fishermen -- Ajesh Binki (25) and Jalastein (45) -- were killed on February 15 off the Kollam coast near Kerala when armed guards of the Italian ship fired at their boat, suspecting it to be a vessel belonging to pirates.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs