Killing of fishermen cold-blooded murder: Chandy
Kochi: Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on Saturday said firing by armed guards on-board an Italian merchant ship killing two Indian fishermen off the Kollam coast was "cold-blooded murder" and legal action would be taken against
the crew of the merchant vessel responsible for the attack.
"Strict legal action will certainly be taken against the guilty," he told reporters after a meeting of the United Democratic Front (UDF) meeting here.
Chandy said he had held discussions with Advocate General KP Dandapani on the issue.
"Timely action has been taken against the ship. The Coast Guard had traced the vessel `Enrica Lexie` within hours of the incident and the ship has been brought to Kochi port," he said.
Welcoming the stand of the Union government in the issue, the chief minister said the state government was constantly in touch with the Centre.
"We are continuously in touch with the Ministry of External Affairs...We are taking it as a very serious case," he said, adding that a case has already been registered
against the crew.
Two fishermen -- Ajesh Binki (25) and Jalastein (45) -- were killed on February 15 off the Kollam coast near Kerala when armed guards of the Italian ship fired at their boat, suspecting it to be a vessel belonging to pirates.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video