Kochi airport plans expansion with rise in profits
Kochi: Kerala`s Kochi airport, the fourth largest airport that handles international passengers in India, on Saturday announced that its profit touched Rs 77 crore in fiscal 2009-10 and it will invest Rs 118 crore in expansion plans.
Chief Minister VS Achuthanandan, who is also the chairman of Cochin International Airport Limited (CIAL), said at the annual general body meeting of the CIAL here that the dividend to the shareholders has also gone up from 10 percent to 12 percent.
"We are working out major expansion plans. We will begin discussions with all major airlines operating from here to set up a permanent base in Kochi. We are expecting more chartered flights and also setting up a helicopter hub," Achuthanandan said.
The profits of CIAL have been steadily growing. The figure was Rs 47.12 crore in 2007-08 and Rs 59 crore in 2008-09. Likewise, the dividends also rose consistently from eight to 10 percent respectively.
The paid up capital of CIAL is Rs.300 crore.
CIAL - the first airport outside the ambit of the Airports Authority of India - was formed as a public limited company with equity participation from the Kerala government, financial institutions and a large number of NRIs, a majority of which are Keralites based in the Middle East.
Among the other major projects that CIAL has in the pipeline are a theatre complex, a shopping mall, state-of-the-art hotel, besides a 60-bedded hospital.
"A new railway station will be constructed near the airport. We will also request that the proposed Metro Rail is extended till the airport," Achuthanandan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves