Kodikunnil Suresh files petition in HC
Kochi: AICC Secreteary Kodikunnil Suresh,
whose election from the Mavelikara (Reserved) Parliamentary
constituency was declared void by the Kerala High Court, Tuesday
filed a petition seeking one month`s stay on the judgement to
enable him to file appeal in the Supreme Court.
When the petition came up before Justice M Shashidharan
Nambiar, the court posted it for tomorrow to enable the
respondents-- K S Anil Kumar and two others, to file replies.
Suresh contended that he intends to file appeal before
Supreme court challenging the judgement.
Parliament is in session from July 26 to Aug 27 and being a
member of the SC-ST Welfare committee of Parliament, he has a
vital role to play in the welfare of the members of the SC-ST
community, the petitioner submitted.
If the operation of the judgement is not stayed, he would
not be able to take part in the committee. He has raised
starred questions in this session of the Lok Sabha. Hence, his
presence in house was essential during question hour, he
Kodikunnil said he was also the Secretary of the Congress
Parliamentary party. During the parliamentary session, as the
secretary he has to organise and convene the meetings of MPs
belonging to congress party to interact with ministers on
vital matters in the Lok Sabha.
He is also the member of the standing committee of Rural
Development and has an active role in the committee meetings.
If the operation of the judgement is not stayed, great
prejudice would be caused to public interest and to the
petitioner as Member of Parliament, he submitted. His
constituency will also suffer, Suresh stated.
Yesterday, Justice Nambiar had set aside Kodikunnil
Suresh`s petition after holding that he was not entitled to
claim the benefits and privileges available to the members of
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi