Kodikunnil Suresh files petition in HC
Kochi: AICC Secreteary Kodikunnil Suresh,
whose election from the Mavelikara (Reserved) Parliamentary
constituency was declared void by the Kerala High Court, Tuesday
filed a petition seeking one month`s stay on the judgement to
enable him to file appeal in the Supreme Court.
When the petition came up before Justice M Shashidharan
Nambiar, the court posted it for tomorrow to enable the
respondents-- K S Anil Kumar and two others, to file replies.
Suresh contended that he intends to file appeal before
Supreme court challenging the judgement.
Parliament is in session from July 26 to Aug 27 and being a
member of the SC-ST Welfare committee of Parliament, he has a
vital role to play in the welfare of the members of the SC-ST
community, the petitioner submitted.
If the operation of the judgement is not stayed, he would
not be able to take part in the committee. He has raised
starred questions in this session of the Lok Sabha. Hence, his
presence in house was essential during question hour, he
Kodikunnil said he was also the Secretary of the Congress
Parliamentary party. During the parliamentary session, as the
secretary he has to organise and convene the meetings of MPs
belonging to congress party to interact with ministers on
vital matters in the Lok Sabha.
He is also the member of the standing committee of Rural
Development and has an active role in the committee meetings.
If the operation of the judgement is not stayed, great
prejudice would be caused to public interest and to the
petitioner as Member of Parliament, he submitted. His
constituency will also suffer, Suresh stated.
Yesterday, Justice Nambiar had set aside Kodikunnil
Suresh`s petition after holding that he was not entitled to
claim the benefits and privileges available to the members of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security