Kodikunnil Suresh gets relief from Kerala High Court
Kochi: The Kerala High Court Wednesday gave relief to five-time Congress Lok Sabha member Kodikunnil Suresh by staying for three weeks a verdict annulling his election as MP from a constituency reserved for Scheduled Castes.
Suresh had filed a petition asking the court to stay the verdict for a month so that he could approach the apex court.
Justice Sasidharan Nambiar granted him three weeks time, but made it clear that during this time he could only attend parliament session but not be eligible for allowances or take part in voting in the Lok Sabha.
The High Court had Monday annulled his election as a Lok Sabha member holding that he was ineligible to contest from Mavelikara constituency in Alappuzha district.
Nambiar had ruled that Suresh was not qualified to be a candidate in the Scheduled Caste category and his nomination should not have been accepted. He was ruling on a petition filed by RS Anil of the Communist Party of India, whom Suresh defeated in 2009 by a margin of more than 40,000 votes, and two others.
Suresh had previously won four times (1989, 1991, 1996 and 1999) from the Adoor reserved constituency. The petitioners had informed the court that Suresh was born a Christian.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000