Kozhikode Asst Commissioner Pillai transferred
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala Government
today transferred a police official who opened fired at the
agitating SFI students during a recent protest at a government
engineering college in Kozhikode.
Kozhikode Assistant Commissioner of Police K Radhakrishnan
Pillai, who opened fire, has been transferred, Chief Minister
Oommen Chandy said at the state Assembly.
Making a statement in this regard, Chandy said action was
taken against Pillai, taking into consideration the CPI-M led
LDF opposition`s sentiments. Students Federation of India
(SFI) is politically linked to CPI(M).
Chandy said Additional Chief Secretary K Jayakumar, who
held a probe into the firing, had stated in his report that
firing could have been avoided.
However, as no one was injured in the incident at
Government Engineering College and considering the Opposition
demand, he has been transferred, Chandy said.
Protesting the decision, the LDF Opposition, who had
demanded Pillai`s suspension, led by its leader V S
Achuthanandan, staged a walkout.
The LDF had also demanded a judicial probe into the firing
at students, who were agitating in front of the college in
connection with the alleged "illegal" admission of a student.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'