Kozhikode Asst Commissioner Pillai transferred
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala Government
today transferred a police official who opened fired at the
agitating SFI students during a recent protest at a government
engineering college in Kozhikode.
Kozhikode Assistant Commissioner of Police K Radhakrishnan
Pillai, who opened fire, has been transferred, Chief Minister
Oommen Chandy said at the state Assembly.
Making a statement in this regard, Chandy said action was
taken against Pillai, taking into consideration the CPI-M led
LDF opposition`s sentiments. Students Federation of India
(SFI) is politically linked to CPI(M).
Chandy said Additional Chief Secretary K Jayakumar, who
held a probe into the firing, had stated in his report that
firing could have been avoided.
However, as no one was injured in the incident at
Government Engineering College and considering the Opposition
demand, he has been transferred, Chandy said.
Protesting the decision, the LDF Opposition, who had
demanded Pillai`s suspension, led by its leader V S
Achuthanandan, staged a walkout.
The LDF had also demanded a judicial probe into the firing
at students, who were agitating in front of the college in
connection with the alleged "illegal" admission of a student.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof