Kozhikode Asst Commissioner Pillai transferred
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala Government
today transferred a police official who opened fired at the
agitating SFI students during a recent protest at a government
engineering college in Kozhikode.
Kozhikode Assistant Commissioner of Police K Radhakrishnan
Pillai, who opened fire, has been transferred, Chief Minister
Oommen Chandy said at the state Assembly.
Making a statement in this regard, Chandy said action was
taken against Pillai, taking into consideration the CPI-M led
LDF opposition`s sentiments. Students Federation of India
(SFI) is politically linked to CPI(M).
Chandy said Additional Chief Secretary K Jayakumar, who
held a probe into the firing, had stated in his report that
firing could have been avoided.
However, as no one was injured in the incident at
Government Engineering College and considering the Opposition
demand, he has been transferred, Chandy said.
Protesting the decision, the LDF Opposition, who had
demanded Pillai`s suspension, led by its leader V S
Achuthanandan, staged a walkout.
The LDF had also demanded a judicial probe into the firing
at students, who were agitating in front of the college in
connection with the alleged "illegal" admission of a student.
- ISIS makes Indian terrorist its poster boy in new video to lure youth from country
- Russian GP: Nico Rosberg wins seventh race in succession as Lewis Hamilton recovers to second spot
- No need for cash; pay through mobile phone at Café Coffee Day now
- VVIP chopper scam: RSS mouthpiece dares Congress to reveal who's 'Signora Gandhi' mentioned in Italian court
- EPL: Anthony Martial strikes as Manchester United make Leicester City wait for title