KPCC chief Chennithala likely to contest polls
Thiruvananthapuram: In an important development
for the UDF in Kerala, KPCC president Ramesh Chennithala is
expected to contest the Assembly polls, setting aside the
normal practice of state unit heads keeping off the electoral
fray for organisational reasons.
The party high command has given nod to Chennithala to enter
the fray if he prefers to do so, according to sources close to
The move to is seen by observers as part of a strategy to
placate the majority sentiments by offsetting the impression
of prominence of the minority communities in the UDF,
especially in communally sensitive central and south Kerala.
The Congress`s calculations of striking a communal balancing
in selection of UDF candidates has been upset to a certain
extent by the demand of the Christian-dominated Kerala
Congress (Mani) for more seats this time.
A long-time ally of the Congress in Kerala, KC(M) has based
its claim on the ground that its support base has strengthened
with the Kerala Congress (Joseph) faction merging with it and
quitting the LDF.
The KC factions were said to have merged with the blessings
of a powerful section in the church establishment, which had
openly resented the policies of the LDF, especially in the
The Kerala Congress (M), which has been pressing for 22
seats this time against 11 it received in 2006, would be
getting most of its segments in the Central Travancore
districts of Kottayam, Pathanamthitta and Idukki.
The Congress would also have to field some of its prominent
Christian faces in the area.
Calculations of the party strategists is that fielding a
heavyweight candidate like Chennithala would balance the
communal equations and placate community outfits like Nair
Service Society (NSS). Chennithala, who belongs to Nair
community, has always maintained good equations with the NSS
According to sources, the entry of Chennithala is unlikely
to upset the chances of senior leader Oommen Chandy, who is
widely seen as the front runner for the chief minister`s
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi