Lack of resemblance: Artist to re-do face of Karunakaran statue
Thiruvananthapuram: Amid criticism that the full-size bronze statue of former Kerala chief minister K Karunakaran, unveiled by President Pranab Mukherjee here recently, failed to depict the true profile of the late Congress veteran, the artist who made it has decided to re-do the face of the structure.
Some Congress leaders, including Karunakaran`s son and party MLA K Muraleedharan, have voiced dissatisfaction at the statue installed in the Kanakakunnu palace grounds in the heart of the state capital.
They argued that it had failed to depict the true facial expressions of the late leader, including his trademark smile.
They also pointed out that as a result of the flaws in the work, the structure failed to bring to the beholder the essence of the personality of the Congress leader, who had left a deep impression as a central player in Kerala politics and had four stints as the Chief Minister.
Artist, K S Sidhan, who cast the statue, admitted that there have been some lapses in the work but said authorities had prevailed on him to rush with the completion for unveiling it during the President`s visit.
He said he has sought the permission of the government to rework the face of the statue to make it look like the image of Karunakaran during the 1980s.
"The enduring image of the late leader in the minds of Keralites is when he was at the height of his career in the 1980s. Now I am planning to re-do the face of the work to correct whatever flaws are there," Sidhan said.
Sidhan, who had cast statues and busts of several personalities, including those of Nobel prize winning physicist C V Raman and former Chief Minister R Sankar, said never before had he faced criticism like this for any of his works.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced