Lack of resemblance: Artist to re-do face of Karunakaran statue
Thiruvananthapuram: Amid criticism that the full-size bronze statue of former Kerala chief minister K Karunakaran, unveiled by President Pranab Mukherjee here recently, failed to depict the true profile of the late Congress veteran, the artist who made it has decided to re-do the face of the structure.
Some Congress leaders, including Karunakaran`s son and party MLA K Muraleedharan, have voiced dissatisfaction at the statue installed in the Kanakakunnu palace grounds in the heart of the state capital.
They argued that it had failed to depict the true facial expressions of the late leader, including his trademark smile.
They also pointed out that as a result of the flaws in the work, the structure failed to bring to the beholder the essence of the personality of the Congress leader, who had left a deep impression as a central player in Kerala politics and had four stints as the Chief Minister.
Artist, K S Sidhan, who cast the statue, admitted that there have been some lapses in the work but said authorities had prevailed on him to rush with the completion for unveiling it during the President`s visit.
He said he has sought the permission of the government to rework the face of the statue to make it look like the image of Karunakaran during the 1980s.
"The enduring image of the late leader in the minds of Keralites is when he was at the height of his career in the 1980s. Now I am planning to re-do the face of the work to correct whatever flaws are there," Sidhan said.
Sidhan, who had cast statues and busts of several personalities, including those of Nobel prize winning physicist C V Raman and former Chief Minister R Sankar, said never before had he faced criticism like this for any of his works.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- IPL 2016, Eliminator: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Kolkata Knight Riders — As it happened...
- RJD nominates expelled BJP leader Ram Jethmalani, ex-Bihar CM Rabri Devi to Rajya Sabha
- Apple Inc may never open retail stores in India: Here is why!
- Congress targets Amitabh Bachchan over Modi govt's 2nd anniversary event, says 'wrong message being sent'
- WTO sees Brexit costing UK billions in trade tariffs: FT