Land Reforms policy in six months: Rajagopal
Thiruvananthapuram: Claiming that the recently held Land Rights March `Jan Satyagaraha` was a success, Ekta Parishad president PV Rajagopal on Saturday said new land reforms policy in the country was expected in next six months.
"The objective of the Council is to publish the draft of the Policy in three months and the final one in six months time", Rajagopal, with whom Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh last month signed an agreement for bringing in land reforms, told a press meet here.
Rajagopal had led a march of landless poor which was called off after the agreement.
Rajagopal, also a member of the Nationl Land Reforms Council, said next meeting of the Council to discuss the policy would be held on November 16.
Besides, the Land Reforms Policy, the Centre has also agreed to bring out two legislation one for Right for shelter land Act and Right for Agriculture land Act.
"It is the moral responsibility of the government to provide land to landless people", he said.
The government which acquire land for Corporates should also take steps to distribute land to landless, he said.
Rajagopal said his movement demanding land for landless people was getting good support from all quarters of the society, adding `the demand of the Parishad is to distribute at least ten cents of land for shelter purpose and One hectare for agriculture work`.
October 12 last was a memorable day in the history of land rights in India, he said.
"While the thousands of marchers of the Jan Satyagraha reached Agra after 8 days on the road, Jan Satyagraha and Centre reached an agreement on a ten-point ?road map", he said.
"The agreement reached between Jan Satyagraha and Centre is expected to result in a major policy change on land rights and land distribution, benefitting the poorest population segments mainly tribals, scheduled castes and other marginalised groups in the country`, he pointed out.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram