Land scam case against me is baseless: Achuthanandan
Kochi: Former Kerala chief minister VS Achuthanandan said on Friday that the ongoing vigilance case against him for alleged misuse of office to transfer land in Kasargode district to a relative is baseless.
The Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader said the case was foisted on him by the Oommen Chandy government.
"This case is a non-issue. It was not me who gave the land; the land transfer was done during the tenure of K Karunakaran as chief minister. Now this government is doing its best to indict me.
They have no evidence against me," said Achuthanandan told reporters here.
In January this year, the vigilance probe arraigned the veteran Marxist as one of the eight accused in thne land transfer case. Among other accused are four Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officials, including Sheela Thomas, who served as principal secretary to Achuthanandan while he was the chief minister.
Then revenue minister and Communist Party of India (CPI) leader KP Rajendran and Achuthanandan`s personal assistant Suresh are also among the accused.
In June 2011, the Chandy government, after examining files related to the land transfer to TK Soman, a relative of Achuthanandan, ordered a probe by the vigilance department.
The cabinet also decided to cancel the land allotted to Soman, a former defence official.
The alleged land transfer took place at the fag end of Achuthanandan`s tenure as the chief minister in early 2011.
Under government norms, land given to people in the defence category should not exceed one acre. Soman was given 2.33 acres. Incidentally, under the norms, such land cannot be sold or transferred for 25 years after allotment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?