Lavalin case: CBI questions Cong leader again
Thiruvananthapuram: For the second time in the last 10 days, Congress leader and former Electricity Minister G Karthikeyan was questioned by CBI in connection with a graft case relating to a 1998 contract with a Canadian company, in which CPI(M) state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan figures as an accused.
Karthikeyan was questioned for three hours at the Chennai
CBI office on Sunday, the central agency sources said.
"I was asked to come by the CBI officials. Right from the
beginning of the probe, I have told them I would fully
cooperate with them," Karthikeyan told a local news channel
after appearing before CBI.
He however, did not divulge any details of the questioning
conducted by CBI.
The negotiations with SNC-Lavalin for the renovation of
three hydel projects in Kerala began when Karthikeyan was
Electricity Minister in the UDF government in the mid-1990s.
However, the deal was finalised when the LDF government
was in power in 1998, when Vijayan was Electricity Minister.
CBI`s case was that there was a conspiracy behind the
deal which was signed in `undue haste,` resulting in a heavy
loss to the government.
Karthikeyan`s name was mentioned in the probe report of
the CBI but he was not arraigned as an accused in the case.
While considering the case, the court a couple of months
ago had asked CBI to look into the role of Karthikeyan in
the deal and report back to it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared