LDF disrupts proceedings in Kerala Assembly
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI(M)-led-LDF disrupted
proceedings in the Kerala Assembly on Thursday demanding action
against Forest Minister KB Ganesh Kumar and Government Chief
Whip PC George for their abusive speeches against Opposition
Leader VS Achuthanandan and CPI(M) MLA AK Balan at a public
meeting last week.
As the LDF members kept on shouting slogans after their
demand for a debate over the issue was rejected, Speaker
G Karthikeyan adjourned the House for 45 minutes when the zero
hour was halfway through.
Seeking leave for an adjournment over the issue, Kodiyeri
Balakrishnan (CPI-M) demanded that Kumar be dropped from the
ministry for his lewd comments against Achuthanandan and
George be removed from his post for allegedly hurling casteist
comments at Balan.
Responding to the Opposition demand, Chief Minister
Oommen Chandy recalled that he as well as Kumar had already
regretted in the House for the remarks against Achuthanandan.
In the case of George, the Government could not initiate
suo motu action as he had only referred to the Scheduled Caste
status of Balan and not insulted him by mentioning any caste
name, he said.
Chandy said the Scheduled Caste Prevention of Atrocities
Act did not have any provision for taking a police case for
simply mentioning the term Scheduled Caste without referring
to any particular caste name.
However, Achuthanandan said this argument was not at all
Though he sat down after making an unsparing attack on
the Government, the placard-wielding LDF back-benchers started
shouting slogans against Kumar and George, forcing the Speaker
to adjourn the House for 45 minutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"