LDF exploiting endosulfan issue for political mileage: IUML
Malappuram (Kerala): Indian Union Muslim
League, the second largest partner in the Congress-led UDF,
on Friday accused the LDF of exploiting the endosulfan issue to
gain political mileage after "failing" to effectively
implement the ban on the pesticide in the state.
"The hartal called by the LDF demanding nation-wide
ban on endosulfan is a futile bid to cover up its failures",
IUML state general secretary P K Kunhalikutty said here.
"The hartal call showed that the LDF is getting ready
to sit in the opposition benches when the Assembly poll
results are out on May 13," he said.
Noting that it was the UDF government that banned
endosulfan in 2005, Kunhalikutty said if Congress-led
coalition regained power the ban on the pesticide would be
implemented "in letter and spirit".
The IUML leader said there was "no moral
justification" for today`s shutdown as the V S Achuthanandan
government "had not taken any sincere measure" to effectively
rehabilitate the victims of endosulfan in Kasargode district.
Kunahlikutty, who is expected to lead the IUML in the
Assembly after declaration of results, said the UDF was
confident of clinching a convincing win this time.
"All sections of society are dissatisfied at the
manner in which the state was led by the LDF in the last five
years. The results would not be different from those of the
2009 Lok Sabha polls and last year`s civic elections, when the
UDF dealt a crushing blow to the LDF", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth