LDF keeps away from `Emerging Kerala` meet
Kochi: CPI(M)-led LDF in Kerala Wednesday kept itself away from the `Emerging Kerala 2012` investment meet, inaugurated by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Senior Marxist leader and former Chief Minister V S Achutanandan did not attend the meet, despite Chief Minister Oommen Chandy hoping that the opposition would not harbour a wholly negative approach to the initiative.
The opposition had sharply attacked the venture alleging that it appeared to be a ruse to alienate natural wealth to private business interests and signalled that its presence would not be there at the meet.
Achutanadan had demanded that the meet be cancelled as proposals were `anti people and disgraceful`.
Meanwhile, various organisations took out marches protesting against the meet.
Democratic Youth Federation of India, youth wing of the CPI(M) and All India Youth Federation, youth wing of CPI, took out processions at various points in the city.
The opposition said the government was forced to remove some of the projects highlighted in its website after controversy broke with regard to them.
The state run Infrastructure Kerala Ltd had proposed a Rs 200 crore project for the `night life zone` which includes discotheques and bars in 18 acre area near Veli in the state capital. However, the project was later removed from the website.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery