LDF manages to retain Kozhikode Corporation
Kozhikode: The ruling LDF encountered stiff contest from the Congress-led United Democratic Front before retaining the Kozhikode Corporation by winning 41 seats out of the 75 in the corporation, traditionally a CPI-M stronghold.
UDF bagged 34 seats, officials said.
LDF also retained the two municipalities-Vadakara and Koilandy- by winning convincingly.
At Vadakara out of the total 47 seats, LDF won 27 seats while UDF managed to secure 19 and a congress rebel one seat.
Koilandy witnessed the total domination of LDF, which won 23 seats out of the 32,while UDF managed to win 7 and BJP two.
Though it lost, UDF did extremely well since it had only 7 seats in the 2005 elections, while LDF 46.
LDF`s candidate for Mayore A K Premajam, a former MP, won convincingly.M T Padma,UDF candidate for the Mayor post, also registered a notable win from Chalappuram in the city.
UDF`s Shobitha, daughter of Kozhikode DCC President KC Abu, was among the winners.
LDF has established an edge in both the grama panchayat and Block Panchayats, while in the District panchayat UDF has the upperhand.
Though the two-phased poll outcome in other districts of the state had been announced on October27, Kozhikode district`s was delayed since polling at Velam divison of Kozhikode was held only yesterday, because of a legal dispute over delimitation of wards.
Tight security arrangement was made at the counting centres, where counting began at 8 AM.
Police have stepped up security in many areas in the district including politically sensitive Nadapuram, which had witnessed poll-related violence in the last few days.
LDF had lost the prestigious Kochi corporation, which it had ruled for the past three decades and was drubbed in Thrissur.t secured a wafer-thin majority in Thiruvananthapuram and a moderate win in Kollam corporation.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list