LDF manages to retain Kozhikode Corporation
Kozhikode: The ruling LDF encountered stiff contest from the Congress-led United Democratic Front before retaining the Kozhikode Corporation by winning 41 seats out of the 75 in the corporation, traditionally a CPI-M stronghold.
UDF bagged 34 seats, officials said.
LDF also retained the two municipalities-Vadakara and Koilandy- by winning convincingly.
At Vadakara out of the total 47 seats, LDF won 27 seats while UDF managed to secure 19 and a congress rebel one seat.
Koilandy witnessed the total domination of LDF, which won 23 seats out of the 32,while UDF managed to win 7 and BJP two.
Though it lost, UDF did extremely well since it had only 7 seats in the 2005 elections, while LDF 46.
LDF`s candidate for Mayore A K Premajam, a former MP, won convincingly.M T Padma,UDF candidate for the Mayor post, also registered a notable win from Chalappuram in the city.
UDF`s Shobitha, daughter of Kozhikode DCC President KC Abu, was among the winners.
LDF has established an edge in both the grama panchayat and Block Panchayats, while in the District panchayat UDF has the upperhand.
Though the two-phased poll outcome in other districts of the state had been announced on October27, Kozhikode district`s was delayed since polling at Velam divison of Kozhikode was held only yesterday, because of a legal dispute over delimitation of wards.
Tight security arrangement was made at the counting centres, where counting began at 8 AM.
Police have stepped up security in many areas in the district including politically sensitive Nadapuram, which had witnessed poll-related violence in the last few days.
LDF had lost the prestigious Kochi corporation, which it had ruled for the past three decades and was drubbed in Thrissur.t secured a wafer-thin majority in Thiruvananthapuram and a moderate win in Kollam corporation.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur