LDF Opposition protest in Assembly over tribal infant deaths
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI-M-led LDF opposition on Monday staged a walkout in the Assembly accusing the government of lethargy in dealing with problems of tribals at Attappady in Palakkad district which led to the death of 52 infants in the last 18 months due to malnutrition.
The opposition sought an adjournment of the House to discuss the `serious` matter and alleged that the Oommen Chandy government virtually lost the moral right to continue in office as it "violated" the right to survival of a child guaranteed under the Constitution by denying the basic needs.
Holding that both the UDF and LDF, which ruled the state alternatively for the past several decades, were equally responsible for the happenings in tribal belt, Chandy said, "Death of children and newborns due to underweight and malnutrition is very unfortunate and it is an incident that should not have happened in the state."
"..Both UDF and LDF are in the dock for the happenings at Attappady," Chandy said, replying to an adjournment notice moved by CPI-M`s A K Balan. "This is not a time to blame each other", he said.
The death of children happened due to the peculiar situation prevailing at Attappady, Chandy said, adding, steps had been taken to supply nutritious food and address the health problems of tribals.
Chandy sought the co-operation of all to implement the Rs 112 crore comprehensive development package for Attappady sanctioned by the Centre during the recent visit to the area by Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report